Dr. Irina F. Dragan
Name: Irina F. Dragan
Address: One Kneeland Street, Suite 747, Boston, MA, 02111
Phone: 001 347 249 1729
Education and training
D.D.S. Carol Davila University Faculty of Dentistry, Bucharest, Romania Doctor of Dental Surgery; magna cum laude Thesis Advisor: Dr. Constantin Varlan Certificate programs
M.S: Tufts University School of Dental Medicine (TUSDM), Boston, USA Master of Science in Dental Research Thesis Advisor: Dr. Nadeem Karimbux Title: ”Impact of using a simulated “Infobutton” linked to “UptoDate” on the speed and accuracy of determining drug-drug-interactions in a dental school setting: a pilot randomized controlled trial”.
2017 – present
Tufts University School of Dental Medicine (TUSDM), Boston, USA D.M.D. Faculty Track, graduation expected in May 2019 Program Director: Dr. Nadeem Karimbux
Certificate New York University College of Dentistry (NYUCD), New York, USA Advanced Education Program in Comprehensive Dentistry Program Director: Dr. Kambiz Ghalil
Certificate Tufts University School of Dental Medicine (TUSDM), Boston, USA Advanced Education Program in Periodontology Program Director: Dr. Charles Hawley
Internship University of Maryland School of Dentistry
Dentist at Pringapus and Pabelan Public Health Centre in Semarang, Central Java
Consultant ADEA Policy Center – Consultant for Vice-president Dr. Eugene Anderson
Fellow American Association of Dental Research/ADEA Dental Career Program
Pass National Board Dental Exam part I
Pass National Board Dental Exam part II
Fellow Osteology Foundation
Fellow American Dental Education Association (ADEA) Emerging Leaders Program
2016 Fellow ADEA/AAL Institute for Teaching & Learning
Diplomate American Board of Periodontology
Dental License West Regional Exam Board
Fellow Harvard M.I. Program for Educators in Health Professions (pending)
Indonesian Doctor of Dentistry Association (PDGI)
Books and Chapters:
- “Carranza’s Clinical Periodontology” (editors: M. Newman, H. Takei, P. Klokkevold, F. Carranza), 12th edition – contributor with power point presentations for the chapters: “Periodontal Pathogenesis”, “Clinical Evaluation of the Implant Patient”, “Supportive Implant Treatment”. Elsevier Publishing 2016, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Irina F. Dragan, D.D.S., M.S.
- “Clinical Cases in Implant Dentistry” (editors: H.P. Weber, N. Karimbux), contributor for the chapter: “Lateral window technique for sinus augmentation”. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing 2017, New Jersey, USA.
- Karimbux N., Dragan I.F., Kim D. “Rudolph’s Pediatrics”, 23rd Edition. Chapter 377. “Periodontal and gingival health and diseases”. McGraw Hill Education – in print.
- Karimbux N., Dragan I.F., Kim D. “Pediatric Practice Infectious Diseases”, 2nd Edition. Chapter 30. “Gingival and periodontal infections”. McGraw Hill Education – in print.
- Peer reviewed articles:
- Geisinger M., Dragan I.F., Alexander D. Healthy pregnancy: a patient-centered approach to counseling and behavioral change. (manuscript accepted September 2017 in Compendium of Continuing Education in Dentistry).
- Dragan I.F., Paterno Holtzman L., Karimbux N., Morin R.A., Bassir S.H. Clinical outcomes of comparing soft tissue alternatives to free gingival graft: a systematic review and meta-analysis. (manuscript accepted May 2017 Journal of Evidence Based Dental Practice).
- Dragan I.F., Veglia V., Geisinger M., Alexander D. Dental care as a safe and essential part of a healthy pregnancy. (manuscript accepted January 2017 in Compendium of Continuing Education in Dentistry).
- Jakovljevic A., Kuzmanovic Pficer J., Dragan I.F., Knezevic A., Miletic M., Beljic-Ivanovic K., Milasin J., Andric M. The role of varicella zoster virus in the development of periapical pathoses and root resorption: a systematic review. J. Endod. 2017 Aug;43(8):1230-1236
- Pirc M., Dragan I.F. The key points of maintenance therapy for dental implants envisioning successful long-term outcomes: a literature review. Compend Contin Educ Dent. 2017 Apr;38(4):e5-e8.
- Dragan I.F., Stark P.C., Newman M., Steffensen B., Karimbux N. Impact of using “UpToDate” on the speed and accuracy of determining drug-drug-interactions in a dental school setting. J Dent Educ. 2015 Nov;79(11):1349-55.
- Officers and Members of ADEA Student Chapter at Tufts University School of Dental Medicine. Peer Education: Reviews of the Literature (PERLs) – Portfolios as an Assessment Method. J Dent Educ 2015 79:997- 1000.
- Urdaneta R.A., Seemann R., Dragan I.F., Lubelski W., Leary J., Chuang S.K. On the effect of natural tooth implant proximity and the concept of load-bearing platform switching. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2014 Nov-Dec;29(6):1412-24.
- Jimbo R., Marin C., Witek L., Suzuki M., Tovar N., Chesnoiu-Matei I.L., Dragan I.F., Coelho P.G. Bone morphometric evaluation around immediately placed implants covered with porcinederived pericardium membrane: an experimental study in dogs. Int J Biomater. 2012; 2012:279167.
- 4Irina F. Dragan, D.D.S., M.S. Divaris K., Barlow P., Chendea S., Cheong W.S., Dounis A., Dragan I.F., Hamlin J., Hosseinzadeh L., Kuin D., Mitrirattanakul S., Mo’nes M., Molnar N., Perryer G., Pickup J., Raval N., Shanahan D., Songpaisan Y., Taneva E., Yaghoub-Zadeh S., West K., Vrazic D. The academic environment: the students’ perspective. Eur J Dent Educ. 2008 Feb;12 Suppl 1:12030.
Pending peer-reviewed publications:
- Dragan I.F., Alasqah M., Alhamoudi N., Wright T., Ausenda F., Paterno Holtzman L., Malik A.U., Karimbux N. Evaluation of Omega-3 piscine acellular dermal matrix membrane as an alternative to sub-epithelial connective tissue for the treatment of mucogingival defects: an experimental study in dogs. (manuscript in preparation for Journal of Periodontology).
- Dragan I.F., Hur Y., Kim W, Ogata Y, Weber H.P. Comparison of complications and patientreported outcomes between lateral and transcrestal sinus augmentation with simultaneous implant placement: a randomized controlled clinical trial. (manuscript in preparation for Clinical Oral Implants Research).
- Jakovljevic A., Andric M., Dragan I.F., Miletic M., Beljic-Ivanovic K., Knezevic A., Vucevic D., Milasin J. Varicella zoster virus induces apical periodontitis via ischemic events in dental pulp. (manuscript in revision Medical Hypotheses).
- Geisinger M., Dragan I.F., Alexander D. Collaborating with the peri-natal team for optimal oral health before, during and after a healthy pregnancy. (manuscript in revision Compendium of Continuing Education in Dentistry).
- Shenoy G., Dragan I.F., Pagni S., Murphy J., Karimbux N. Factors associated with the evidence-based clinical questions presented during a “vertically integrated seminar series”. (manuscript in revision Journal of Dental Education).
- Ramaswamy V., Karimubx N., Dragan I.F., Mehta N., Danciu T. The status of graduate interdisciplinary education at U.S. dental schools. (manuscript in revision Journal of Dental Education).
- Dragan I.F., Dalessandri D., Johnson L., Tucker A., Walmsley D. Impact of scientific and technological advancement Workshop report. Proceedings of the ADEE/ADEA Shaping the Future of Dental Education. (manuscript in revision European Journal of Dental Education).
- Saffari S., Lambert R.F., Dang L., Dragan I.F. Integrating student feedback during “Dental Curriculum Hack-a-Thon”. (manuscript in revision BMC Medical Education).
- Impact of new technologies. 2017 ADEE/ADEA “Shaping the Future of Dental Education”.
- Irina F. Dragan, D.D.S., M.S. Use of social media in a global network context. 2017 ADEE/ADEA “Shaping the Future of Dental Education”. https://www.adee.org/meetings/london2017/conclusions/global-networking/Doc-1.1-Use-ofsocial-media-in-a-global-network-context.pdf
- 2016 Survey of Dental Education in Europe Summary Report. https://www.adee.org/userfiles/ADEE-Survey-2016-Report-July_10th_Pulished.pdf
- Implant Dentistry Online Education, hosted by Hong Kong University. Contributed with 2 webinars: “Dynamic navigation in implant dentistry” and “Implant supported provisional restorations”. https://www.coursera.org/learn/implant-dentistry
- AudioSlides for “Clinical outcomes of comparing soft tissue alternatives to free gingival graft a systematic review and meta-analysis”. Published October 1, 2017. http://audioslides.elsevier.com//ViewerSmall.aspx?source=1&doi=10.1016/j.jebdp.2017.05.008
- A clinical case report to evaluate a piscine xenograft in a gingival soft tissue augmentation procedure. Trends in Clinical Periodontology and Implant Dentistry. Published April 7, 2017.
- ADEA JDE “Paper Clips”. Impact of using a simulated “Infobutton” linked to “UpToDate” on the speed and accuracy of determining drug-drug interactions in a dental school setting: a pilot randomized controlled trial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PN5BQBntzk&list=PLNw7-s17gF4OchEL4LrAszftGgdsWRJa&index=1
- Trends in Clinical Periodontology. Deconstructed Science. Dynamic navigation in implant dentistry – key points to consider in daily practice. http://www.trendsperioimplantresourcecenter.com/content/dynamic-navigation-implant-dentistry
- Trends in Clinical Periodontology. Learning Center Board Corner. http://www.trendsperioimplantresourcecenter.com/learning-center-board-corner-1
- Dental Board Mastery NBDE part 2 Mobile App. Questions/Periodontics/Sample Clinical Case/Esthetic Crown Lengthening. http://www.dentalboardsmastery.com
- Dental Pearls Mobile App. Quizzes; Clinical Cases; Library. https://www.dentalpearlsapp.com
- “axiUm” Training Modules: resources for dental students and faculty at TUSDM. https://tufts.box.com/s/70ydqf1ousdahtewqu9xzgpefh0i3obm
- Ongoing Research Projects
- Clinical research:
- “Comparison of the intraoperative, postoperative complications and patient’s discomfort between external and internal maxillary sinus floor elevation techniques with simultaneous implant placement: a randomized clinical trial”. (Supported by the International Team of Implantology; manuscript in preparation).
- Irina F. Dragan, D.D.S., M.S. “Comparing three caries prevention products on dentinal hypersensitivity – a pilot study”. (Supported by the TUSDM Dean’s New Investigator Grant; partial results submitted for the 2017 American Academy of Periodontology Annual Meeting).
- “A clinical trial to evaluate Omega-3 wound™ compared to autogenous gingival graft tissue to augment gingival soft tissue and wound healing”. (Results submitted for the 2017 American Academy of Periodontology Annual Meeting).
- “A novel implant supported provisional technique to optimize esthetics and soft tissue conditioning – a pilot clinical study”. (Supported by the TUSDM Dean’s New Investigator Grant).
- “Accuracy and perception evaluation of a dynamic navigation implant system: a pilot study”. (Awarded the 2016 Student Grant from the American Academy of Implant Dentistry Foundation and the 2017 Straumann Research Grant).
- “Evaluation of the evidence-based clinical questions presented during the basic and clinical sciences spiral seminar series (Basicssss)”.
- “Direct comparison between self-assessment and peer assessment forms of the Basic and Clinical Sciences Spiral Seminar Series (BaSiCSsss)”.
- “Impact of a student driven organization in an academic environment: implant study club”.
- “The role of professional initiatives supported by organizational context for faculty members at tusdm a retrospective study”.
- “The use of learning catalytics in the curriculum at tufts university school of dental medicine: a retrospective study”.
Report of Clinical Activities
- 2017 – present Implant Program Literature Review Invited Guest Lecturer Offered to postgraduate students in the Implant Dentistry program.
- IrinaF. Dragan, D.D.S., M.S. 2016 – present Critical Evaluation of Scientific Literature Course Director Offered to all the postgraduate students enrolled in the MS program.
- 2016 – present “Periodontal Literature Seminar Series” Course Director Offered to postgraduate students enrolled in the PG Esthetics program
- 2016 – present “Intro to the Dental Patient” Invited Guest Lecturer Offered to all the predoctoral students enrolled in the DMD program.
- 2015 – present Dental Education Learning and Teaching Academy” Fellowship Program Program Coordinator
- 2015 – present Basic and Clinical Sciences Spiral Seminar Series Faculty reviewer Offered to all the predoctoral students enrolled in the DMD program.
- 2015 – 2016 “Intro to the Dental Patient” Course Co-Director Offered to all the predoctoral students enrolled in the DMD program.
- 2015 – 2016 Critical Evaluation of Scientific Literature Course Co-Director Offered to all the postgraduate students enrolled in the MS program.
Regular Scientific Gathering , Dr. H. Marzoeki Mahdi Hospital, Bogor, West Java, 2009